Governors at South Ossett Infants’ Academy
Our governors here at South Ossett Infants play a vital role in the life of the Academy.
Governance is a strategic role which involves working with the Headteacher to:
- Set aims and objectives to improve standards and to agree targets to achieve those aims
- Agree policies
- Monitor and review whether policies reflect practice and whether targets and priorities are being achieved
- Contribute to the School Development Plan
- Set and monitor the school budget in line with the SDP
- Ensure financial probity and ensure best value
- Contribute to the School Self Evaluation Form (SEF)
- Ensure that statutory obligations are met
- Be involved in staff appointments where appropriate
The Governing Body of South Ossett Infants’ is comprised of a combination of appointed or elected Governors. A term of office lasts for four years after which it is reviewed. The clerk to the Governing Body keeps records of these.
Parent Governors – elected from among the parents of our academy
Staff Governors – elected from among teaching and non- teaching staff
Co-opted Governors – appointed by Governing Body
Foundation Governors – appointed by the EOCT board of Trustees
Associate members – part of the Governing Body to enhance their skill set. Associate members are not able to vote
What being a school Governor involves
Attendance at full Governing Body meetings– these are held once each half term
Involvement in committee meetings or working parties – the main committees that meet regularly are the Standards committee (covering curriculum, inclusion, pupil behaviour and welfare) and the Resources committee (covering all aspects of finance including premises)
Training courses All Governors are strongly encouraged to take advantage of the training offered by the LA in order to keep themselves well informed and up to date. Attendance on training is booked through the training link Governor.
Reading Between meetings governors need to read through documentation provided in order to be prepared for the next meeting
School visits Governors are encouraged to visit the academy at least once a term. The protocol for visits and recording form can be found in our school visits policy (forms are available from the office on the day of your visit).
Other committees and panels Governors may serve on other committees or panels that only meet when necessary. These include staff appointments, Headteacher performance management, pupil discipline, personnel appeals and complaints
General support Where possible, attendance at concerts, ‘Walk Abouts’ and other school events
Our Governors are named below. We are setting up a direct contact email. If you wish to contact one of the governors please use the contacts page and we will forward the email to the governor concerned.
- Rachael Walker – Chair of Governors – Resources and finance and standards committees
- Tony Sargeant – Governor – Vice Chair and Standards committee
- Joanna Osborne – Parent Governor
- Ruth Pugh – Parent Governor
- Alex Shaw – Parent Governor
- Janet Frazer – Staff – Standards committee
- Angela Ryan – Staff
- Janet Jones – Co-opted – Resources and finance committee
- Tina Shute – Headteacher – Resources and standards committee
Please click on the link to see Governors and their Roles